You inspect your car’s tires for wear and tear and you inspect your AC unit to see if it needs a new filter. A Chimney often goes under the radar when it comes to inspections. So, how often do you really need to have your chimney inspected?
How Often Do You Need A Chimney Inspection?
Chimney Inspection Timeline
There are several determining factors to consider when it’s time to schedule a chimney inspection .
- You haven’t had your chimney inspected in a year or more. This is especially true if you use the fireplace often in the winter.
- If you don’t use your fireplace, it’s still important to have your chimney that services the heating system inspected.
- You’re buying a new house. Not knowing the condition of the chimney is a risk to the health of your family and your home.
- You are having performance issues with your chimney or fireplace.
Why do You Need an Annual Chimney Inspection?
The purpose of a chimney inspection is to keep the chimney operating correctly. An inspection ensures that your chimney is free of obstacles that may impact its performance and ultimately result in a chimney fire or carbon monoxide leak.
Types of Chimney Inspections
There are three types of chimney inspections. Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3.
- Level 1: This inspection is performed if you plan to use the venting system as you have in the past. This is the minimum requirement for a chimney inspection. Readily accessible portions of the chimney are inspected, including the exterior.
- Level 2: This inspection is performed when any changes are made to the system, including fuel type. A level 2 inspection includes everything in Level 1, in addition to attics, crawl spaces, and the interior of the flue. A Level 2 is required during the sale or transfer of a property.
- Level 3: Includes everything from Level 1 and Level 2, as well as, the opening up or removal of components, such as the chimney crown, when necessary
Schedule your annual chimney inspection today! Find your local SootMaster by calling toll free at 888-768-0818.Contact Us